Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Creating Lichtenstein Style Pop Art

Lichtenstein's Pop Art is different from others because of his style of Benday Dots.  To create a digital painting with a similar style first find an image that you would like to work with.  Place it on a bottom Layer in Photoshop with a transparent layer above it.  I chose a small image of to French Bulldog pups that I took in the example.

On the second layer I have started tracing the major shapes using the paintbrush with a smooth edge and 6 pixels wide.  Lichtenstein used nice thick lines in his paintings.
Continue until all of your major edges to the shape are outlined.  Because my image is very small I am going to use a 4 pixel line for the details.
Once you have finished your line drawing you are ready for the dots!
Here is a seamless dot pattern you may use.  You will have to adjust the colors with your paint bucket to fit your painting.
With the background hidden use the magic wand tool and select the shape to put the pattern in. 
I poured the pattern in a different layer so that I could delete it if I change my mind.
One thing that Lichtenstein did was make some of his dots on white and some on the color.  To do this you would invert your pattern.  You also will need to make a new pattern for each color. 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment